I’ve decided to change these posts to once a month and will post on the first Saturday of each month. For those that have been participating or commenting, thanks so much for doing so. I’ve enjoyed your posts and comments and look forward to reading more of them.
Tag Archives: Confessions of a Reader
Confessions of a Reader: I’m a Cover Snob
It’s time for Confessions of a Reader! You can read more about the idea here, but here it is in a nutshell:
- Whenever you have something you want to share, just spill it (you know you want to). Just create a post of your own, grab the button thingy above and then post a comment with the link to your post.
- I will be here every Saturday, but you need not commit to a weekly post. Post when you have something to share.
- Posts can be rants about something you are reading, or a deep, dark secret. All I ask is that the post relates to reading or blog reading in some way. If you want to piggy-back off of what I post, then that’s okay too.
- Posts can be as short or as long as you like and can include more than one topic.
- The goal is to get to know one another better.
I’m a cover snob.
I know many readers are like this and that I am not alone. However, if I see another reader with a book that happens to have a questionable cover (in my eyes), then I immediately think that they are not ‘true’ readers. My main issue is with Chick Lit. The bright pinks, the shoes, the lipstick and shopping bags. I inwardly groan when I see covers like this. I also take issue with some of the Fantasy covers I’ve seen. They sort of look like my kid drew them. Gargoyle-like creatures, bad composition, use of color, etc. Oh, and this has nothing to do with content! I realize that there could be a well-written story underneath that cover but if the cover does not strike me, I tend to turn a blind eye to it.
A few months ago I read a post on this very subject and I said in my comments that I would never think negatively about a reader if he/she possessed a book with questionable cover. At the time, I truly believed what I wrote, but I was in denial. I do judge a reader by the cover of the book they are reading. The other thing that doesn’t help is that I am nosey! I like to check out what others are reading and sometimes I have to really control my facial expressions when they make eye contact with me.
I realize that this is not a positive trait that I possess and that most of these posts deal with my faults but hey, I’m human and part of thinking differently about this begins with me acknowledging my faults. The funny thing is…if any of you handed me a book and asked me to read it, I totally would regardless of the cover. I guess this feeling of mine only occurs with strangers. First impressions and all that.
If you’d like to include your own confession, just share the link to your post. Or, if you aren’t quite ready to post your own confession then comments are fine too.